Over reading week, while my Brother and Dad were visiting me, we took a side trip to Bath, Somerset which is about an hour and a half away from London by train. Here are a few suggestions I thought I’d give for those of you who are interested in paying this area a brief visit!
1. When purchasing train tickets, I would recommend going to the ticket booth in person. This way you will have the opportunity to speak with a ticket agent in person who can provide you with the best available deal, especially when traveling in a group!
2. This may seem like a silly tip, but when on the train, try to avoid sleeping and take a minute to appreciate the scenery on the short journey to Bath. I’m a bit weird, but I always like to find a nice piece of music to pair with the trip as I observe my surroundings. After all, the ride is not long at all and it will keep you from waking up tired from the trip.
3. When visiting Bath, going to the Roman Baths is a MUST! Although you do have to purchase tickets for this tourist attraction, it is not only a beautiful sight to see but also provides a tangible look into history!
4. If you are interested in fashion I would highly recommend paying the Fashion Museum a visit. Not only is is very informational, but often times you can get a deal when visiting both the Roman Baths and this Museum.
5. When purchasing any tickets, always ask if they have student discounts. Most places do, and even if they don’t it doesn’t hurt to ask!
6. Take a free walking tour around the city! I enjoy exploring different cities on my own as much as the next person, but volunteers conduct free walking tours leaving from the bath pump rooms in the city center throughout the day and they are very educated about the history and secrets of the city. I walked away not only with a lovely tour around Bath, but also with information that I probably wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t taken this opportunity!
I hope that some of these suggestions helped and have a lovely time exploring the city!